Whilst clearing out the Extreme Trifle spam folder this morning something caught our eye. In between the many promises from strangers to "boost your erection powers" and "make her scream with your massive rod", was a mail titled "Copyright Infringement". Turns out this wasn't spam but an email from the worlds largest record label claiming that we had infringed copyright on the soundtrack to one of our videos. This is of course completly true, and not only regards the afforementioned video but in fact every single one of our videos.
But your honour, in our defence. This isn't an attempt to steal music without paying for it (we use piratebay for that). It is for the simple reason that it covers up the appalling dialogue/sound quality in the original video. I mean there is only so many times you can listen to someone saying "the car is broken", or "I think I left my passport at the border" with the background whistle of a desert storm. Having said that this is our only video that doesn't contain cars. Nevertheless, this concludes the case for the defence.
However, upon further reading of the email, whilst waiting to get to the paragraph beginning with "Court proceedings..." something unexpected happened. It appears the world's largest record label has decided to take no action and we can keep the video online providing we are willing to carry advertising on the page. We are sure this decision was in no way influenced by the fact the video has been viewed 80,716 times and counting.
Now if you will all join in the chorus "I fought the law...and the law didn't quite win".
Click here to see the offending item.
3 comments:
Does that mean Extreme Trifle will be under further scrutiny by other record labels looking to make money out of law suits to boost their flagging record sales? And will we have to resort to unlicensed music? I have somewhere in my parents loft a "Sing along with Max Bygrave" LP. You could always cover up "Mayday mayday I have a puncture and I think its terminal" with "I'm a blue tooth brush your a pink toothbrush" failing that my Chopsticks is pretty poor but I'm willing to practice more if it serves an important purpose! My only other music experience is a Hi Di Hi campers jingle on a xylophone
Well if we match your Hi-Di-Hi on the Xylophone with my rendition of "3 blind mice" on the Piccolo then we might be on to something...on second thoughts perhaps we'd better run the gauntlet with the internet feds. Either that or we leave the soundtracks faithful which means listening to Jon "J-Turn" Dent proclaiming "Now that's banger rallying" at every opportunity...
I think your probably right about running the gauntlet against the Internet feds as your inability to properly secure the mic ribbon to the video camera means all we'd hear is the distant rumble of the central heating boiler
Post a Comment